Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Butternut Squash Risotto


Have I said in past posts that "this is my favorite" recipe? Because this is definitely one of my favorite recipes. This is from Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa, Family Style Cookbook. Here is the Butternut Squash Risotto Recipe I use. I have most of Ina Garten's cookbooks and I honestly use them frequently. This is risotto is my comfort food. When I have had a melancholy day or a really happy day, friends over, or I just really want something warm and friendly I make this. I have several tips for what I do. You can take it or leave though because the recipe as is works.
-I always use fresh butternut squash. I have tried the pre-cut cubes fresh and frozen and I don't like them. I always make double the amount of squash because I eat half of it straight off of the sheet pan. To peel it I use my handy dandy kitchen aid vegetable peeler. My husband uses his tried and true paring knife.
-Use your favorite Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Mine is actually Trader Joes. It has a nice grassy flavor. I easily use double of what the recipe calls for. Then I also go heavy on the Kosher salt.
-I have never used homemade chicken stock. What? Shocking? I'm busy people I have 4 kids and I am always in the car. I use chicken broth and it works great :) Someday I am sure I will want to make homemade chicken stock, but seriously don't let that stop you from making it.
-I love Saffron. It is expensive and worth every penny of it. I double what the recipe calls for.
-I don't always go out to get the pancetta. Sometimes I use bacon, sometimes I don't use either.
-Definitely do freshly grated Parmesan.

1 comment:

Trudi & Gary said...

Looks yummy :-)
I'll have to try it after I'm done dieting...
Miss you guys, glad you've started posting again so I can get over my TannyaRobbiePaigeGraceWhitneyCrew withdrawal.

Have you heard anything about when we are getting together this summer - two years is too long :-)
Trudi