Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Banana Cream Pie



I always look forward to making Banana Cream Pie. I am a "snacker" and a "taster" when I am cooking or baking. I love eating some of the pie dough, then the whipped cream, and then the custard. The custard for this recipe is so good it is really hard to save any of it for the pie. My husband magically appears to help "stir" the custard, and then helps me eat some of it while it is cooling off. This recipe is from Martha Stewarts, "Baking Handbook". I use this cookbook frequently. The recipe's are technical, a bit more time consuming, but still easy to follow with great results. This link also provides a video for this particular recipe.

I of course have a few additional comments and ideas for this recipe.
-I line the crust with melted semi-sweet chocolate. It seals the crust and creates a really nice crunchy texture. The chocolate also goes excellent with the banana cream pie. I noticed in her cookbook that she does this with her Coconut Cream Pie. My friend Michelle had made individual Banana Cream Pies for our dinner club in S.F. where she had used a chocolate lined crust so I decided to try it. I don't think I will ever make it without again.
-I always make enough pie crust for 2 pies. It calls for only making half of the crust recipe, but honestly you will want to make another one the next week so why not have another crust on hand.
-Please don't ever use cool whip. This is just me, but seriously whip your own cream.
-I actually didn't really like the bananas on top. Maybe I will do it in the future just when I plate the actual pieces.

1 comment:

Lulu the Baker said...

Thanks again for making this. It was delicious! Maybe next time you make it I can help you make the custard!