Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Shish Kabob

Its almost here! Really, right around the corner you can feel summer lurking. The warm air in the breeze, the flowers in bloom everywhere and yes that familiar smell of the Barbecue. I love almost anything cooked on the grill. Seriously, don't you? We have been enjoying some fantastic weather this past week so it was time for something a little sweet, spicy, and tangy all-in-one...Shish Kabobs.
One of my favorite reasons for grilling is the almost instant gratification. It just cooks so fast, you get that fantastic smell, that great smoky flavor and then its finished and you can eat. A wondefrul thing happens in our house with these...everyone (all 4 of my kids and my husband) love them. I'm happy, their happy, its like the whole world is happy for a few precious moments. Hmmmm it makes me wonder why I don't make them every night?
Today I threw together these fruit and vegetable Kabobs, and these tasty chicken Kabobs.

Vegetable Kabobs
-Yellow Bell Peppers
-Orange Bell Peppers
-Large yellow onion
-Pineapple Chunks
-Small white Potatoes (blanched)
-Fresh mint leaves
-Lime juice
-Salt and pepper

I cut everything as proportional as I can and place on a soaked wooden skewer. The small white potatoes are blanched. Arrange them on a cookie sheet, sprinkle lime juice and salt and pepper, rotate, and do it again. Cook on medium heat on your grill, they will cook in 5 minutes easily so watch them and turn them as needed so they don't burn.

Chicken Kabobs
My husbands work recently had a catered picnic where they had these tasty chicken kabobs I could not stop eating. This is my attempt to recreate them.

-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into long strips
-3/4 C Soy sauce
- 1/4 C Sugar
-1/4 C brown sugar
- 2 T olive oil
-1 T sesame oil
-1 or 2 garlic clove minced
-salt and pepper to taste
-1/4 C sesame seeds
-1 t onion powder
-1 t ginger powder

This is the list of all the ingredients I threw together to make my marinade. The measurements are my best guess.

Slide the chicken onto the soaked wooden skewers so that they won't fall off. Marinade in the above mixture for at least an hour before hand. Place on your grill with it on medium high. These will cook in 7-10 minutes. Make sure you rotate them frequently.

3 comments:

Margaret said...

Tannya Tannya Tannya they look divine!

:)

Lulu the Baker said...

Hey Lady! I've been waiting for a new post for months now!! I love the bbq too; we still use that tiny one we took to the ward campout a few years ago, but somehow we manage to get all the food cooked eventually! We'll have to add your kabobs to our grilling line-up.

Margaret said...

So I made the chicken kabobs last night and they were AMAZING!!! I think I could have them every night of the week. So so good. Thanks for sharing it. Post more. I love them all. :)