Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Honey Chicken (with Curry)




This is another staple recipe in our house. 5 of the 6 of us like it, which constitutes a major success when 4 of the critics are under the age of 10. I first had this chicken at my wonderful friend Leslie's house when we both still lived in San Francisco. I seriously think I stalked her until she gave me the recipe. The sauce is so, so simple, yet it yields a terrific flavor. The curry gives it a nice spice as well as color, but the dijon and honey give it this interesting mix of sweet, and sour. It is easy to make for a large group of people, and it has a great color so it plates well too. I often use asparagus as my side dish. I have a thing about color, and so I love the bright green with the tangy yellow of this dish.
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into tenders
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup honey
2 T dijon mustard
2 tsp curry powder
Heat the butter, honey in a small saucepan until well blended. Add the mustard, and curry powder and bring to a low simmer. Simmer for 3-5 minutes stirring often. Pour a small amount into a baking dish (if you are using just the 2 chicken breasts then an 8x8 inch pan will work. I often double this recipe and use closer to a 9x13 inch pan.) Place the chicken into the dish. Pour the sauce over the top, place in the oven. Flip the chicken 1/2 way through cooking.
Cook at 350 degrees for approx. 45 minutes, or until the chicken is done. I serve it over rice...every time.
For the asparagus just wash then snip or break off the ends. Place on a jelly roll pan/cookie sheet. Drizzle olive oil across the top. Sprinkle Kosher salt generously across the asparagus, then bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes for the thinner asparagus, for thicker asparagus 18-20 minutes. Just until you can pierce a fork through it.

5 comments:

rachel said...

This has my husband written all over it. Thank you for posting it!

Tania said...

I think this is the recipe you made when you brought us dinner when Claire was born. It is soooo good! Thanks for posting!

Lulu the Baker said...

This reminds me of something my mom makes, but her recipe has coconut and sultanas and nuts in it along with the chicken and sauce. So good! Matt doesn't like it, so I only get to have it once in a blue moon. :(

rachel said...

Tannya,
So I finally made this tonight for dinner and it was a HIT! Martin loves loves loves curry. I love how easy and cheap it was to make. Nice.
Do you mind if I link to this recipe on our recipe site?
Thanks again for this. It was SO good. (and my girls gobbled up the asparagus!! UNHEARD of.)

Craig and Stephanie said...

I made this for dinner last night and it was a huge hit! Craig really enjoyed it and Jackson loved the sauce on his rice!

Thanks for sharing!