Monday, March 2, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Everyone thinks they have the BEST chocolate chip cookie recipe ever. There is just something about chocolate chip cookies isn't there. Its not just the taste, however scrumptious they are. Its not just how enticing they look. It may however be the result of the incredible aroma that encompasses your entire home when you bake them. My mom makes excellent chocolate chip cookies, or at least she used to when I was growing up. I couldn't keep my hands out of the dough, I couldn't help eating them right out of the oven, even when they were so hot the melted chocolate would burn the tip of my tongue. I mean seriously how could you wait after smelling them bake for 10-12 minutes. It makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

Well I am no exception. I too think my recipe is The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe EVER. If I have a favorite treat, a favorite thing to bake, if I was ever forced to pick 1 thing these cookies may very well be it.

I will add this though for all of you who are shaking your head thinking, whatever. I think we all think our recipe is the best because they really can come out so incredibly different even though they really are quite a simple treat. Sometimes they are thin and crispy, sometimes thick and chewy, sometimes crisp on the outside and soft in the center. Whatever your fancy is this recipe is worth trying out.






2/3 Cup sugar
2/3 Cup brown sugar
1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 tsp vanilla
3 egg whites (or 2 eggs)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 Cups flour
2 Cups chocolate chips
Mix the top 3 ingredients, then add the vanilla and eggs and mix. Slowly add the flour, salt, and baking soda. Mix well, then add in your favorite chips. I do a blend of Ghiradelli semi-sweet, and dark chips. If you have a thing for milk chocolate chips, hands down the Guittard brand is the best. Let chill for about 15-20 minutes.
Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
I always, always double this recipe. I have to have plenty of cookie dough to eat. It is the best chocolate chip cookie dough ever :)

6 comments:

Margaret said...

I will have to try yours sometime. I do like my favorite ones which butter flavored crisco in them (SO BAD FOR ME). But I can branch out.

rachel said...

Do you LOVE your silpat???

Craig and Stephanie said...

I just made your recipe and I absolutely love them. What is that mat that you are cooking them on?

Thanks for sharing!

The Food Librarian said...

I like how your recipe uses oil! Sounds interesting. It is going on my to-do list!

Tannya said...

With regards to the Silpat mat (Stephanie that is what the mat is called that you asked about) I LOVE (stress the LOVE) Love it. It is life changing with regards to baking. Nothing sticks to it. EVER. Mine is from Williams- Sonoma. It is one of my very favorite things. Get one. I mean get two. If you get just one you will be back at the store the next day buying another one, so that you have it for rotating pans.

Tannya said...

OK Food Librarian...the oil works amazingly well. I say this as I have a plate full of these cookies happily sitting next to me on the couch. Try it, and let me know what you think.

P.S. I love your site, and I am going to link it on mine. I hope thats OK.