Monday, February 23, 2009

Scallion Pancakes

Scallion Pancakes are so good that my pictures can't possibly do them justice. The first time I had them my great friends Kelvin and Susie made them for my family. They were probably as shocked as we were at how many we ate . They are just the right amount of salty, not to crisp, and not to soft. They really are this perfect little savory treat.

Last week I decided to make them for some friends and they all had the same reaction. You definitely cannot eat just one. Here is my slightly revised version of the recipe from Kelvin. They are a little bit time consuming so I usually make them when I am hanging out with other people. Thanks to my friend Brooke who stood at the oven and fried these for me while I rolled them out.
2 Cups Flour
3/4 Cup Hot Water
8-10 Scallions (only the green part, sliced really thin)
Coarse salt (I use Kosher)
Sesame Oil (2-3tsp)
Vegetable Oil for Cooking (and a little bit for the dough)
1.Stir together the hot (really hot) water, and the flour with about 1 TBSP vegetable oil in a bowl. Once it starts to form a ball, knead it with your hands for about 10 minutes. Cover the bowl with saran wrap and let it sit for about 30 minutes.
2. Roll the dough into a 16 inch log (give or take), and then slice it into 20-24 pieces. Put them back into the bowl and cover with the saran wrap. Heat vegetable oil in a 12 inch skillet, or wok. Taking one piece at a time, roll it into a 4 inch circle on a lightly oiled surface (sesame oil). I also lightly oil my rolling pin with sesame oil. Then sprinkle generously with scallions. Roll it up like a cigar. Twist it around until it balls up into a circle. Make sure you pinch the ends, and then roll out again. Sprinkle generously with salt and then cook it in the hot vegetable oil until golden. About 2 minutes per side. Let them drain on a paper towel and then serve.

4 comments:

rachel said...

How good does this sound?!? Fried and salty. Got my name all over it.
From the pic, it looked like they were potatoes... but I guess not. How easy is that!? Thanks for the recipe.


(although seriously how do you eat like this and look like THAT???)

Margaret said...

I'm sad I missed out on these. Maybe next time I won't have strep.

Unknown said...

I love savory food- looks amazing. thanks!

Lulu the Baker said...

Those were delicious! Thanks for spending all that time making them.