Monday, February 23, 2009

Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Sugar Cookies

I didn't quite know what to call these. For some time now I have had an obsession with baking sugar cookies to try to find the perfect one for me. In doing so I ended up throwing together this recipe that is more of a mix between sugar cookies, and shortbread (another of my all time favorites). I can't ever seem to decide with sugar cookies if I really love the more cake-like sugar cookie, or the more firm and crisp sugar cookie. Honestly it is probably based more on my mood than anything else. However I love a great shortbread because it isn't too soft, or too firm. The only problem is that sometime shortbread it to crumbly or possibly even to dry. So voila, here is something right in the middle.


Not only are they really delicious, they are quite pretty. You can cut them out with any cookie cutter you like, however, I really like just doing these round ones. You could also just frost them if you really wanted to, or eat them plain, or using white melting chocolates and color it.

5 Cups Flour
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
2 Cups Butter (4 Sticks, softened and cut up)
2 large eggs (yolk only)
3/4 tsp salt
4 tsp vanilla extract

Beat the butter and sugar together. Add the eggs and vanilla and blend until it is smooth. Add the salt and flour and mix together. Form the dough into 2 balls, wrap in saran wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 2 days.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Divide a ball in half (cut with a knife). Roll out to an even thickness that is about 1/4 inch, on a lightly floured surface. It is a stiff dough and a little challenging to roll out. Cut out your desired shape, place on a lined or nonstick baking sheet. Bake the cookies for 12 minutes. Let them cool on the pan for 1 - 2 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to finish cooling.
Melt your chocolate slowly over low heat. I have used guittard melting chocolates in milk chocolate, white chocolate, ghiradelli dark chocolate chips, and semi-sweet. So use whatever you really like. Just becareful not to scald the chocolate.
Makes about 5 dozen

1 comment:

Margaret said...

Now these I did get to try and loved them!