Thursday, February 26, 2009

Bittersweet Chocolate Torte

When I lived in San Francisco I was fortunate enough to be invited to join a dinner club that my friend Michelle put together. One of the many incredible desserts was this Bittersweet Chocolate Torte with Raspberries that my friend Rachel made. It was so good that I have been holding on to this recipe for like 4 years and I finally made it. This is personally right up my alley. It is a rich, dark, bittersweet chocolate not for the weak at heart.

Makes 16 servings

14 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup butter (no substitutes)
1/4 cup milk
5 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
fresh red raspberries
powdered sugar optional

1. Grease the bottom of an 8 inch springform pan; set aside
2. Combine chocolate, butter, and milk in a heavy medium saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate melts. Remove from heat and cool 20 minutes. Beat eggs and vanilla in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on low speed until well combined. Add sugar and flour; beat on high speed for 10 minutes. Stir chocolate mixture into egg mixture. Pour into the prepared pan.
3. Bake in a 325 degree oven for 35 minutes, or until torte is slightly puffed on the outer one-third of the top. (Because this is a dense torte, the center will still appear underbaked).
4. Cool in pan on a wire rack about 20 minutes. While cooling, the torte may fall about 1/4 inch in the center and may develop a brownie-like, crusty surface. With a knife, carefully loosen the torte from the sides of the pan. Cool completely (about 2 to 3 hours). Remove the sides of the pan. Wrap the torte in foil, and chill for at least 8 hours or up to 2 days. To serve, bring the torte to room temperature.
5. Add the raspberries, and some cream, powdered sugar...whatever sounds good.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

I think I had this at one of our get togethers right?

I love all chocolate.