Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Simple Carrot Soup


I had not planned on making carrot soup when I went to the grocery store. Then I saw these beautiful carrots that looked really fresh and colorful. I couldn't resist.


The end result was simple and very satisfying. I thoroughly enjoyed making this for other reasons as well. Rob took the girls to the park to play in the snow while our little guy took a nap. I had a quiet house with just a hint of music in the background. It was sheer bliss. It is rare to be able to cook with just me, myself, and I in the kitchen.

The best part of this recipe is that it is so easy and quick.

Carrot Soup
4 T unsalted butter
3-4 chopped shallots
2 pounds fresh carrots (farmers market variety)
1 bay leaf
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until shallots are tender. Cut thick slices of carrot and put into the saucepan. Mix the carrots into the shallots and butter then add 5 cups of water and the bay leaf. Salt and pepper lightly. Slowly bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer until the carrots are soft. 20-25 minutes. Discard the bay leaf and pour the remaining ingredients into a blender or food processor. Bend until smooth and serve. Use fresh mint or cilantro with some creme fraiche to garnish



No comments: