Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Parmesian Chicken and Grilled Asparagus

This is one of the easiest recipes I cook. I love it, my husband loves it, and all 4 of my kids will eat chicken this way. What more could a busy mom ask for. I first made it about 11 1/2 years ago when I first got married. I bought one of those 250 ways to make chicken recipe books. It sounded good in theory, however, I think it took 20 tries to find a recipe that tasted good, and this is the one that has stuck with us. This meal brings me joy and happiness, an entire dinner without any complaining from anyone. I am not sure why I don't make it every night. Plus an added bonus is it really is so simple to make.

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1-2 Cups seasoned bread crumbs (you can make your own, or use flavor from the store)
1 cube butter or margarine
1/2 grated parmesian
salt and pepper to taste
(you can add just about any seasoning you wish. I usually add some garlic salt and some thyme)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
Melt the butter on a plate in the microwave
Measure the bread crumbs, parmesian, and any other seasonings onto another plate
Place the chicken breasts on a 3rd plate. Dip the chicken into the melted butter, turn and dip the other side. Then drag both sides of the chicken through the bread crumb mixture. Place in a large baking dish that has been greased. Bake for about 35-40 minutes. It depends on how thick your chicken is. For me this has always came out tender on the inside with a nice brown and slightly crispy outside. For my family of 6 I do 4 chicken breasts. If I am having company or making dinner to take to someone its easy enough to add as much as your pan can hold.




In the summer I love to serve it with grilled asparagus, corn on the cob and bread. In the winter I make it with mashed potatoes.


We love asparagus at our house. Not exactly everyone, but 4 of the 6 of us do. I consider that a success. In the summer we grill the asparagus. I take a bundle, rinse it, snap off the ends, and put them in a large ziplock bag. Generously pour extra-virgin olive oil into the bag. Let them soak it up for a little while. Place them on the grill about medium high heat. Sprinkle again generously with kosher salt. Any salt will do, but I like the large granule of kosher. These will cook in about 7 minutes, if that, so watch them.

5 comments:

rachel said...

I love parmesan chicken. I've always served it with marinara sauce on top of the chicken. Now I'm hungry. Time for lunch!

Margaret said...

I love parmesan chicken AND asparagus! I'm excited to try your version. Thanks for posting it!

Jacque said...

Wow, no complaints at dinner? It must be good!

Valerie said...

Tannya, I'm excited to check out your food blog! May i make a suggestion? Could you post the text in white. I can barely read it on the dark background. Otherwise, it all looks so yummy!

Margaret said...

You were right. I didn't have one complaint. I grilled the asparagus on the panini grill and it turned out perfect. Lots and lots of compliments here tonight. Thanks for making me look good friend! :)