Monday, September 15, 2008

Tamales and Beans



I love Mexican food. More than I can possibly say. I wish I could say its my absolute favorite food, but I just can't ever give that title completely to one category. But if I felt like I could, Mexican food might just win out. It is truly comfort food. There is just something about fresh salsa, guacamole, home made refried beans, and mmm mmm tamales. My wonderful friend Susie (who is an amazing cook) taught me how to make beans and tamales. She has been so gracious to do it with me several times until I felt confident enough to venture out on my own. When we both lived in San Francisco we would go to this great little carniceria in the mission district to buy corn husks and pre-mixed masa. Thankfully, after moving I was still able to find a great little mexican market that sells these items.

Let me give you a little warning. If you are going to attempt to make beans and tamales it is a whole day affair. I plan it on a day when I feel like cooking all day, and usually when I want to hang out with a girlfriend. It is really fun, but can get a little exhausting. When I do it I always make salsa, guacamole, and spicy chicken or carne asada as well. It is a feast and we end up eating it easily for 2 days in a row. Then I freeze the remaining tamales for my husband to take to work.

Tamales:
So this is my take off Susie's recipe. I have determined I like mine a little more dense, and I really think they are cute tied, as well as, you lose less filling while they steam.

6 C pre-mixed masa for tamales (I have used the dry masa base, but really don't like it as well)
2 cans of whole kernel corn drained (reserve some of the liquid)
2 small cans of chopped green chiles (slightly drained)
5 C shredded cheddar or colby jack cheese
sugar to taste (approximately 3/4 C)
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1-2 bags corn husks

Wash the corn husks by placing them in a sink full of water. Then rinse them and lay out to dry. I lay mine out in a single layer over paper towels or clean kitchen towels to dry for at least an hour. You don't want them to dry completely otherwise they will become brittle and tear. I throw out any that are still dirty, and or have bite marks in them.

Measure the masa, corn, green chiles, and about 4 cups of the cheese into a large mixing bowl, and mix with your hands. Add in about 1/2 C sugar, 1 T salt, and sprinkle some pepper in to taste. Then add more depending on how you like it. I like to be able to taste the cheese quite a bit, and it should be slightly sweet. The consistency should not be runny at all. It should be sticky (like dough for rolls). This took me a few times to master. The pre-mixed masa isn't always exactly the same consistency so you kind of have to try it out. Once you have the taste how you prefer it you spoon them into the cleaned corn husks. The corn husks have a rough side and a smooth side. Spoon them into the middle of the smooth side. Some of the corn husks are small and some are quite large. You have to be able to roll them up so they can't be overflowing. Usually you can spoon at least 2 T into each one. Fold up the bottom about half way, fold one side over, and then roll it over the other side. It will end up looking a lot like a rolled burrito. Then twist the top and tie with a piece of shredded corn husk. There will be corn husks that are to small or that break so I just keep them and then pull them apart like string cheese and use them to tie off the tamale.

I guess it would have been smart to take pictures of this process. I will add more pics the next time I make them.

You then need to steam the tamales. I have a chinese dim sum steamer that my above mentioned fantastic friend Susie bought for me at a random little restaurant supply store in the richmond district in San Francisco. I think it was the one on Clement street. Anyways it works perfect because it has 2 large tiers so you can steam between 40 and 50 tamales at a time. They steam for approximately 50 minutes, or until firm. If yours ended up being too wet and they don't completely set up - don't worry. Eat them, and then refrigerate or freeze your leftovers and they will be fine.

Refried Beans:

1 bag pinto or black beans
Salt to taste
Milk
Cheddar cheese

Fill a sink with several inches of water and pour the bag of beans in. Pick through the beans and throw out any bad ones. Place them in a pot of boiling water and boil for approx. 25 minutes. Drain the water. Pour enough water back into the pot to cover the beans completely and then some (about an extra inch above the beans). Bring to a low simmer and cook for 4-5 hours. Stirring every now and then and making sure the beans stay covered with water. Salt the water generously. When they are soft remove from the heat. If you are going to freeze any place the whole cooked beans in a storage container with some of the bean juice. Drain the whole beans that you want to refry, but reserve some of the juice. Place beans into a food processor until smooth and creamy. Pour into a large non-stick skillet on medium low heat. Add milk, salt, and cheese to desired taste and consistency. I add about 3 cups of milk, and 1 1/2 cups of cheese. I just tried this same recipe with my friend Leslie over the weekend with black beans and they were incredible.

5 comments:

Margaret said...

YEAH!!! I am so happy to see you posted these recipes! You know I love them! Thank you!!!

Lulu the Baker said...

I lost the tiny scrap of notebook paper I wrote these down on a few months ago, so I too am glad you finally posted them! Thanks.

momto2munkeys said...

Hi, I just found you while I was blog "stalking" :)And I can't wait to make all of this food!!! I've been dying to make beans, but I was wondering how do you store them, how long can you freeze them? Thanks a bunch!!!

Mimí said...

If you put a spoon of lard into the beans they are great!!!!!!!!!

Gigi said...

i just recently learned to make tamales. and yes, it's a whole day affair. (but worth it) thank you for sharing the recipe!